Saturday 19 July 2014

Hammer and Tong - Friends with Benefits Dinner (Nick Stanton)

To be honest, I was a little concerned about attending another Friends with Benefits Dinner at Hammer and Tong. I was worried that it wouldn't be as good as last time or that my expectations were now too high but thankfully after our first course was set down (and after a few big sips of my Tom Collins) all my worries flew out the window.


Placed before me was a beautifully plated dish of Hay smoked Cioba with pickled daikon, chilli and a smoked bonito infused dressing. The flavours were fresh and vibrant and the fried quinoa garnish added a fantastic crunch to the delicate fish.


Next was a Pork trotter nugget, seared scallop, apple, bacon and bourbon caramel. It was definitely one of the most elegant surf and turfs I've ever encountered. The timeless combination of pork and apple was enhanced by the taste of bourbon and the sweetness of a plump scallop, which my knife glided through like butter. 


This was followed by a Smokey beef brisket with kimchi, pineapple and pickled carrot. Never would I have thought that pineapple, beef and kimchi would be together in a single dish but it couldn't have made any more sense. The beef was cooked for 2 days and was sinfully succulent, whilst the kimchi, pineapple and carrot added the perfect amount of acidity and sweetness to cut through the intense richness of the beef.


Finally we arrived at dessert - a peanut butter waffle with salted peanut caramel, raspberry sorbet and chocolate sauce. It was absolutely divine! It was so good, we were scraping our plates for the last remnants of the amazing chocolate sauce. 


If I could sum up all the dishes of the night with one word, it would be 'balance'. Every course was packed with intense and bold flavours yet they combined together harmoniously. The textures of each dish were also well thought out, making each and every bite exciting and leaving you wanting more. I have such a wonderful time when I attend Hammer and Tong's Friends with Benefits dinners, I hope they become an annual thing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment